By Regina F. Bendix,Galit Hasan-Rokem
- An exceptional selection of unique, cutting-edge essays on folklore authored by way of overseas experts
- Examines the practices and theoretical ways constructed to appreciate the phenomena of folklore
- Considers folklore within the context of multi-disciplinary themes that come with poetics, functionality, non secular perform, delusion, ritual and image, oral textuality, background, legislations, politics and tool in addition to the social base of folklore
- Selected via selection as a 2013 striking educational Title
Read or Download A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Best folklore & mythology books
Why achieve this many American students inform tales approximately encounters with ghosts? In Haunted Halls, the 1st book-length interpretive research of school ghostlore, Elizabeth Tucker takes the reader again to college to get familiar with quite a lot of university spirits. the various best-known ghosts that she discusses are Emory University's Dooley, who can disband periods by means of capturing professors along with his water pistol; Mansfield Uni-versity's Sara, who threw herself down a flight of stairs after being rejected by means of her boyfriend; and Huntingdon College's pink girl, who slit her wrists whereas wearing a pink gown.
Nella nostra mentalità di moderni, divinità, miti e riti dell’antichità greca rischiano di venire fraintesi riduttivamente, come stereotipi di belle e fantasiose invenzioni, o di leziosi capricci poetici. Eppure dalla civiltà greca classica, e in particolare dalla sua religione, spuntava il germoglio destinato advert aprirsi, a fiorire e, con l’innesto della matrice giudaico-cristiana, a fruttificare nella civiltà alla quale noi tutti siamo oggi, in Occidente, legati attraverso un retaggio di inestimabili valori intellettuali, morali, sociali.
Nestled within the foothills of the picturesque North Georgia mountains, Dalton is a urban steeped in heritage and legend. The Cherokees referred to as it their "Enchanted Land" prior to they have been pushed out via an American tragedy remembered because the path of Tears. because the gateway to the Civil conflict, Whitfield County hosted bloody battles and sacrificed lots of its personal.
What do our myths say approximately us? Why will we decide to think tales which have been disproven? David M. Krueger takes an in-depth examine a legend that held super energy in a single nook of Minnesota, assisting to outline either a community’s and a state’s identification for many years. In 1898, a Swedish immigrant farmer claimed to have found a wide rock with writing carved into its floor in a box close to Kensington, Minnesota.
- WITCHES, GHOSTS, AND SIGNS: FOLKLORE OF THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Elves And Fairies
- The Devil's Tramping Ground and Other North Carolina Mystery Stories
- The World of Lore, Volume 1: Monstrous Creatures
- Kalevala: Il grande poema epico finlandese (Orizzonti dello spirito) (Italian Edition)
Additional info for A Companion to Folklore (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)