By L de Blois,Lukas De Blois,R. J. van der Spek,R.J. van der Spek
Integrating the result of scholarly paintings from the previous decade, the authors of An Introduction to the traditional World, Lukas de Blois and R.J. van der Spek, have fully-updated and revised all 16 chapters of this best-selling introductory textbook. masking the background and tradition of the traditional close to East, Greece and Rome in the framework of a brief narrative heritage of occasions, this book offers an simply readable, built-in evaluate for college students of background, classics, archaeology and philosophy, no matter if at school, at undergraduate point or one of the wider analyzing public.
This revised moment version deals a brand new part on early Christianity and extra particular details at the religions, economies, and societies of the traditional close to East. there's prolonged assurance of Greek, Macedonian and close to jap historical past of the fourth to moment centuries BC and the historical past of the overdue Roman Republic. the results of Julius Caesar’s violent dying are lined in additional element, as are the background and society of Imperial Rome.
This new version is:
- comprehensive: covers 3,000 years of old heritage and gives the foundation for a standard one-semester path
- lavishly illustrated: includes maps, line drawings and plates to help and complement the textual content, with up to date captions
- clearly and concisely written: proven and revered college academics with thirty years' event within the topic components
- well-organized: lines the vast define of political heritage but additionally concentrates on specific issues
- user-friendly: contains bankruptcy menus, an in depth and increased bibliography geared up by way of topic quarter and 3 appendices, a far better advent and the addition of an epilogue.
Read Online or Download An Introduction to the Ancient World PDF
Best ancient history books
This ebook explores a facet of ways Romans thought of themselves. Its topic is 'divine qualities': features like harmony, religion, wish, Clemency, Fortune, Freedom, Piety, and Victory, which got public cult in Rome within the Republican interval. Anna Clark attracts on quite a lot of facts (literature, drama, cash, structure, inscriptions and graffiti) to teach that those characteristics weren't easily given cult simply because they have been intrinsically very important to 'Romans'.
A magisterial paintings of social historical past, existence After loss of life illuminates the various other ways historic civilizations grappled with the query of what precisely occurs to us when we die. In a masterful exploration of ways Western civilizations have outlined the afterlife, Alan F. Segal weaves jointly biblical and literary scholarship, sociology, background, and philosophy.
Mediterranean historical past, first released in 1978, bargains a wide-ranging and perceptive dialogue of the usually hid hyperlinks among English tradition and the typical background of Western Europe: the Graeco-Roman legacy of the Mediterranean. There turns out to were no time while England has no longer been involved with the civilisations of Greece and Italy: even Stonehenge, the main dramatic survivor of our remotest previous, has a carved dagger of Mycenaean development between its embellishes.
First released in 1907 and reissued in 1965, this can be a interesting research of Thucydides’s heritage. Thucydides got down to write a fair account of the Pelopennesian battle, yet his paintings displays his Athenian fourth-century B. C. context, which used to be of a selected curiosity to Cornford. during this interesting name, Cornford analyses the factors of the warfare as proven through Thucydides and different resources, after which is going directly to touch upon the background.
- In Bed with the Ancient Egyptians
- Law and Crime in the Roman World (Key Themes in Ancient History)
- A Companion to Ancient History (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
- The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han (History of Imperial China)
- Phönizier/Karthager und Griechen auf Sizilien: Kampf um die Vorherrschaft? (German Edition)
- Die Orientpolitik des Triumvirn M. Antonius: Verrat an der Heimat oder diplomatisches und strategisches Kalkül? (German Edition)
Extra info for An Introduction to the Ancient World