By Jon D. Mikalson
- Accessible creation to Greek religion.
- Focuses on Athens within the classical period.
- Includes targeted dialogue of Greek gods and heroes, fable and cult.
- Includes brilliant descriptions of Greek faith because it used to be practiced.
- Ancient texts are awarded in containers to advertise proposal and discussion.
- Abundant illustrations aid readers visualize the wealthy and sundry non secular lifetime of historic Greece.
Read or Download Ancient Greek Religion (Blackwell Ancient Religions) PDF
Similar ancient history books
This booklet explores a facet of the way Romans considered themselves. Its topic is 'divine qualities': features like harmony, religion, wish, Clemency, Fortune, Freedom, Piety, and Victory, which got public cult in Rome within the Republican interval. Anna Clark attracts on quite a lot of proof (literature, drama, cash, structure, inscriptions and graffiti) to teach that those features weren't easily given cult simply because they have been intrinsically very important to 'Romans'.
A magisterial paintings of social heritage, lifestyles After loss of life illuminates the various other ways historical civilizations grappled with the query of what precisely occurs to us once we die. In a masterful exploration of the way Western civilizations have outlined the afterlife, Alan F. Segal weaves jointly biblical and literary scholarship, sociology, heritage, and philosophy.
Mediterranean history, first released in 1978, deals a wide-ranging and perceptive dialogue of the customarily hid hyperlinks among English tradition and the typical historical past of Western Europe: the Graeco-Roman legacy of the Mediterranean. There turns out to were no time while England has now not been involved with the civilisations of Greece and Italy: even Stonehenge, the main dramatic survivor of our remotest previous, has a carved dagger of Mycenaean trend between its adorns.
First released in 1907 and reissued in 1965, it is a interesting research of Thucydides’s heritage. Thucydides got down to write a fair account of the Pelopennesian struggle, yet his paintings displays his Athenian fourth-century B. C. context, which was once of a specific curiosity to Cornford. during this attention-grabbing identify, Cornford analyses the factors of the conflict as proven through Thucydides and different assets, after which is going directly to touch upon the heritage.
- Lykurg und die Große Rhetra: Apoll und sein Gehilfe (German Edition)
- Catullus and the Poetics of Roman Manhood
- The Treasures of Alexander the Great: How One Man's Wealth Shaped the World (Onassis Series in Hellenic Culture)
- Pax Romana: War, Peace and Conquest in the Roman World
Extra resources for Ancient Greek Religion (Blackwell Ancient Religions)