By Norman Housley
- Steers readers in the course of the key debates during this renowned sector of medieval history.
- Draws at the author’s 30 years’ adventure of crusading scholarship.
- Issues addressed diversity from the definition of ‘crusade’, in the course of the motivation and intentions of the crusaders, to the implications of the crusades for ecu society
Read or Download Contesting the Crusades (Contesting the Past) PDF
Similar european history books
This publication is an in depth examine of Hugh of Flavigny and his chronicle, that's extensively acknowledged as essentially the most very important narratives of a very important interval of ecu heritage, that's, the Investiture Contest. Hugh's Chronicon is critical in a couple of methods: as a distinct source-book for probably the most very important basic files (especially papal letters) generated via the Investiture Contest; as a unprecedented autograph manuscript which supplies a massive perception into modern modes of composition and compilation; as a big background of the 'local' results of the Investiture Contest within the dioceses of Verdun and Autun; and as a notable autobiography of the writer, Hugh of Flavigny.
The place does our fascination for 'heritage' originate? This groundbreaking comparative examine of protection in France, Germany and England seems to be past nationwide borders to bare how the assumption of historical past emerged from severe pageant and collaboration in a world context. Astrid Swenson follows the 'heritage-makers' from the French Revolution to the 1st global conflict, revealing the significance of world networks using advancements in every one nation.
"If the sting of a man´s soul wishes a few honing, then the honing will come, through demise or through problem. "Thorbjörn the Thunder priest from Gautland has came upon shelter in a relaxed Baltic River Land village after a tumultous lifestyles because the sole survivor of a persecuted lineage that has carried the secrets and techniques of Thunder because the Age of the good Stone Temples and as a Rus Viking in exile.
African slavery used to be pervasive in Spain's Atlantic empire but remained within the margins of the imperial financial system until eventually the top of the eighteenth century while the plantation revolution within the Caribbean colonies positioned the slave site visitors and the plantation on the middle of colonial exploitation and clash. The foreign workforce of students introduced jointly during this quantity clarify Spain's function as a colonial pioneer within the Atlantic international and its latecomer prestige as a slave-trading, plantation-based empire.
- German Intellectuals and the Nazi Past
- Spain and the American Civil War (Shades of Blue and Gray)
- Economic Change and the National Question in Twentieth-Century Europe
- The Origins of the German Principalities, 1100-1350: Essays by German Historians
- A History of Balance, 1250–1375: The Emergence of a New Model of Equilibrium and its Impact on Thought
- Yugoslavia and Macedonia Before Tito: Between Repression and Integration (Library of Balkan Studies)
Additional resources for Contesting the Crusades (Contesting the Past)